Thursday, June 11, 2009

XBox 360 crashes

I posted this in the Allakhazam forum, but I'm posting it here too so it can get more notice. This is about the 360 crashes that seem to plague Final Fantasy XI every once in a while.

Dear SE,

Hello, my name is Keyln, and I play Final Fantasy XI. I have been playing this game for well over 6 years now, and I play this game on all three platforms (PS2, PC, and 360). My platform of choice is currently the 360 as it has generally better graphics, and is usually more stable. However, one of the things that really bother me is the rate that the 360 crashes.

Specifically, I'm going to list the following:

1) The game crashes when I try to exit the game. This usually happens after extended (4+ hours) playtime. What happens is that I go to my Mog House, hit shutdown, and the screen goes black as normal. However, the console will never turn back, and the console will sit at this black screen for forever until I turn off my console and turn it back on again. When I log back in into the game, it tells me that the game did not shut down properly. This tells me that the console never left the game, and was stuck at the shutdown process.

2) Dynamis - Every once in a while, I or one of my Dynamis shell buddies will mysteriously crash during Dynamis. It seems to happens more often in Dynamis-Beaucidine than in others, but this crash has been seen in most Dynamis areas. It seems to happen near the end of Dynamis, and the really odd thing is that it hits all Xbox 360 users all at once. The fact that it is hitting all 360 users at once tells me that this is NOT a problem with my console.

3) Besieged - This happens constantly in Besieged, where all of the blue, my 360 crashes. It seems to happen right around the 55 minute mark near the end. What happens is that my game locks up, forcing a restart of the console, I try to log in, and all of my points that I earned are gone, and I'll be lucky to get any points at all. Again, the fact that it seems to be widespread tells me that this is, again, not a problem with my console.

Now, I work in the game industry as a QA person for well near 10 years now, and I can tell that by the fact that it's not just me that it's not a problem with the console, but a problem with the code. The fact that it's happening near the end or with extended play times tells me that there is a memory leak that is causing the 360 to crash.

Now, having said this, I don't expect an immediate fix. But I do expect a notice that you are aware of the problem, and that you are currently investigating and/or fixing it. The purpose of this post is to bring notice to this problem so that it can be addressed.

Thank you for your time,

Keyln, pet lover of Phoenix.

Maybe a bigger community site, like Pet Food Alpha will pick this up. This is something that needs to be addressed!

No comments:

Followers